<span class="highlight">Solar</span> <span class="highlight">panel</span> to charge Aux battery in car

Hi,I was given a folding 100w solar panel and plan to use it to charge my Aux battery in the car while at camp. My question is do I connected to the Aux battery via the alligator clips? ( can it be that simple) Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trevor P4 - Monday, Nov 26, 2012 at 21:47

Monday, Nov 26, 2012 at 21:47
Julio

Yes it can be that simple provided the panel has regulator mounted on the panel.

Is there a "box" mounted on one half of the panel that is possible where the cable that has the alligator clips is connected to, this box may have some sort of digital readout that indicates state of charge for the battery it connects to.

This box may also be confused with junction box or boxes where the two halfs of the panels join together.

If it does have a solar controller mounted to it then you should be able to get some sort of part number or descriptor/brand name from it which you can google to confirm its function

If your lucky you'll find that and probably a manual online for the controller so as you can understand how it works.

Alternatively take it to Battery World or your local auto elec for advice.
enjoy
AnswerID: 499275

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Tuesday, Nov 27, 2012 at 08:35

Tuesday, Nov 27, 2012 at 08:35
We have a similar setup to what you have.

Clip the alligator clips to the battery and point it towards the sun. That easy.

We had a dicky alternator in the Kimberley this year and it saved us a number of times by charging up the battery.

Steve
FollowupID: 775274

Follow Up By: auzinomad - Tuesday, Nov 27, 2012 at 12:39

Tuesday, Nov 27, 2012 at 12:39
Just one thing to note with the regulator on the back of the panel.
Some have a warning on the regulator and some don't that reads :- Connect Battery First.
This means that before you set up the panels to face the sun the battery must be already connected.
I didn't have that warning on the regulator and managed to wipe it out, new one had it clearly written on it.
You can get away with setting it up the other way a lot of times but eventually it will damage the regulator, lights up but no input to the battery.
New regulator has a switch between the solar input and the regulator. set it all up and switch on the solar panel,,, too easy.

ron
FollowupID: 775283

Sponsored Links